If you have made an insurance claim in the past you will know that a loss adjustor will be sent from your insurance company to visit you and survey the damage. The loss assessor is hired by your insurance company and therefore their objective is to represent the insurance company not you or your claim. This often results in your claim being minimised.
While we would like to believe that our insurance company has our best interests at heart the reality is they are a business protecting their profits. Their priority is to minimise your claim and what they pay you.
What you may not know however, is that you are in fact able to hire a loss assessor – or independent insurance expert – who work for you to make sure that you receive everything you are entitled to.
What is the role of an independent insurance expert (loss assessor)?
An independent insurance expert is hired by you, the policy holder, to negotiate with your insurance company on your behalf.
What can they do to help – see below
- Immediately advise you on what you need to do next
- Organise any emergency repairs on your behalf
- Help find alternative accommodation for you and your family where necessary
- Prepare a comprehensive schedule of loss and full valuation to meet your insurer’s requirements including all obvious and hidden damage
- Management of your claim up to and including the final settlement
- Introduce and help organise surveyors and contractors on your behalf to complete all necessary repairs
Why hire one and in what circumstances would people hire one
Hiring an independent insurance expert who represents you ensures you get all that you are entitled to from your claim. If you want a second opinion, advice or your claim has been rejected or you don’t feel you’ve received all you are entitled too, then an insurance expert will be able to help you.